.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

bea's story


I saw her as she helped my new daughter blow up a balloon. She was older than the other children, but only a little bit bigger. Her unbraided and unruly hair had a comb stuck in the top, clearly we had interrupted the nanny preparing to do her hair. It was apparent that she was a leader among the young children of AHOPE (an orphanage in Ethiopia caring for HIV+ children). .
.
We returned the next day, this time with our new sons, two years old and four months. She stayed close by my side as I carried our new son in the sling. She gestured her offer and then took the diaper bag from my arms, promptly placing it on her shoulders. As we played with the little ones, she stayed close and was eager to help when it was time for the baby’s diaper to be changed. Fascinated by the diaper wipes, she proceeded to give one to each child in the room, which they eagerly used to wipe their faces and hands. I learned that she was eight years old and had been at AHOPE since she was two. Her story was sad, as all the children’s are. I thought of all that a family could do for her and what a blessing she would be to them.

I came home determined to find a family for this sweet girl. When people asked about adopting a child with HIV, I always replied, “How about a nine year old girl?” I spoke of her endearing qualities, her sense of humor, her helpfulness; but despite my efforts, I could not find a family for her. Then six months later, in a moment of prayer, it became clear to me. I no longer needed to find a family. She already had one.

Eight months later we returned to AHOPE to meet Bea once again, this time as our daughter. She came into our arms full of trust and hope, and we have not looked back. At the age of ten she became a daughter and sister for the first time in her memory. There have been challenges in learning how to be a “family girl”, but the joys outweigh the frustrations and we have no regrets.

Adopting an older child is not for the faint of heart, but parenting is a courageous task in the easiest of circumstances. The joy of watching a child learn to trust and love is incredible.
.
If you feel that you might have room in your heart and your family for a waiting child, please contact us at info@fromhivtohome.org!

Or Love One older waiting child by contributing to our Love One grant fund - helping families with the adoption costs of older waiting children with HIV...
.
those the least likely to be adopted...

those who wait the longest...

those longing for a family.

Visit our Network for Good donor page to give to our Love One fund - just note "Love One" in the designation box.

copyright © From HIV to Home

.